httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Boyle Owen" <Owen.Bo...@swx.com>
Subject RE: [users@httpd] Only redirecting, but not changing the root?
Date Tue, 13 Dec 2005 08:48:17 GMT

It is not clear what you mean by "the root". Do you mean the "DocumentRoot"? It's always better
to use exact keywords in technical questions rather than making up your own shorthand.

> For example:
> www.example1.com == goes to ==> public_html/example1/, the root stays
> public_html/
> www.example2.com == goes to ==> public_html/example2/, the root stays
> public_html/
> www.example3.com == goes to ==> public_html/example3/, the root stays
> public_html/

If you do mean DocumentRoot, then I'm confused. The DocumentRoot never changes. So now I'm
beginning to think you mean the path displayed in the browser location bar... If so, you could
do something like this (untested):

- set up a default VH, possibly on localhost, which has "DocumentRoot /path/to/public_html"
- set up one name-based VH for each site which proxies (or rewrites in proxy-mode) the request
to the default server

eg:

# default VH

Listen 127.0.0.1
<VirtualHost 127.0.0.1:80>
  DocumentRoot /path/to/public_html
</VirtualHost>

# site VHs

NameVirtualHost *:80

<VirtualHost *:80>
  ServerName www.example1.com

  ProxyPass / http://127.0.0.1/example1/
  ProxyPassReverse / http://127.0.0.1/example1/

  or

  RewriteRule ^/(.*) http://127.0.0.1/example1/$1 [P]

</VirtualHost>

repeat as required...

How it works:

- Incoming request has Hostname = www.example1.com so is routed to the VH with that ServerName.

- VH makes a second request to localhost with path /example1
- this request is routed to the default VH on localhost
- default VH fetches the page and returns it to example1 VH
- example1 VH passes the page back to the client

Rgds,
Owen Boyle

> The root public_html contains nothing more than a .htaccess file. It
> should recognize which domain is adressed and then send it to
> the right
> dir. Why I want this? I keep in the dir  public_html/ several other
> dirs, like graphic & tools I need for all sites.
>
> gr, Lennart

the sender's company.