httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Boyle Owen" <Owen.Bo...@swx.com>
Subject RE: [users@httpd] Cannot Get Basic Auth to Work
Date Wed, 07 Dec 2005 07:56:37 GMT
Your set up is a bit of a mess....

1) You don't need (and should have) Auth directives in the main config *and* in a .htaccess
file. For simplicity, I'd recommend all directives in the main config and only use a .htaccess
file if you really need to (if you don't know whether to use a .htaccess file... don't use
it).

2) You need an AuthUserFile directive to tell apache where to find the file with the list
of users and passwords (see http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.0/mod/mod_auth.html#authuserfile)

3) "Require user all" doesn't make sense unless you have a user called "all". If you just
want to restrict access to user who have an entry in the AuthUserFile (see #2), then put "Require
valid-user" (see http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.0/mod/core.html#require).

Rgds,
Owen Boyle

up but for some reason it is not working. It is time for me to present it to someone else
as I may not be seeing the trees because the forest is so big!

> Thanks for the help.
>
> Mike
>

> hpptd.conf
> ---------------
> LoadModule auth_module modules/mod_auth.so
> LoadModule auth_dbm_module modules/mod_auth_dbm.so
>
> UseCanonicalName Off   <------ was on but turned it off as I saw a post about it causing
problems

> Alias /o E:/ApacheGroup/Apache2/d/c/a     <--------------- changed the names because
it is wide open now