httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Arthur DiSegna" <adise...@authentium.com>
Subject [users@httpd] NameVirtualHost / VirtualHost Scenario
Date Thu, 22 Dec 2005 21:18:50 GMT
Hello,

I have been thinking about the setup I am working on and wanted to run a
scenario by the list gurus.

My plan is to setup a production apache server with a single IP address
bound to the interface.

A private non routable address will be assigned to the Apache Server.

There will be two public domain names assigned to one public routable IP
address.

For example; vhost1.mydomain.com = 64.233.187.99 and vhost2.mydomain.com
= 64.233.187.99

All requests will pass through a firewall with 64.233.187.99 bound to
firewall's external interface

The firewall will redirect all the requests with a destination port of
80 to the internal IP bound to the Apache server's interface.

The primary purpose of the Apache server is primarily for downloads and
A web browser is hardly used to get the files.

My question:

Some clients have scripts that check the box every 5 minutes to check
for a particular file.

What happens to the client who writes a script pointing to the public IP
address instead of the FQDN of the one server.

The VirtualHost configuration takes advantage of host headers which
don't appear in a direct IP based requests.

????????  Will I have to redo my .conf file to include both IP addresses

Thanks in advance