httpd-users mailing list archives

From Krist van Besien <krist.vanbes...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Two apache servers on a single external IP address.
Date Fri, 16 Dec 2005 14:58:29 GMT
On 12/15/05, Oil Pine <oil.pine@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have two Fedora Core machines and a Window machine that are connected
> to the 3 of the 4 ports of my DSL router, which in turn connected with a
> DSL modem with one single external IP address.
>
> I've been running apache2 with my home pages on a FC3 machine without
> much trouble.
> (This machine has static intra-net IP of 192.168.0.118
>
> I've just installed another apache2 FC4 on another machine. (IP:
> 192.168.0.128) I am testing this one to make sure everything works out
> OK before I make it the primary web server.
>
> My DSL router has been set to forward port 80 to both .118 and .128.

How does the DSL router decide where to forward a request to?

> I suppose that the back-up machine should be set up only with IP
> (intra-net) address-based virtual servers. Can I set up name-based
> virtual servers in the back up machine. I want to run two apache servers
> at the same time.

You can set up name based virtual hosts on both machines. In fact,
both machines can even run with exactly the same config. That is what
people with multiple servers behind loadbalancers do.

Krist

--
krist.vanbesien@gmail.com
Solothurn, Switzerland