httpd-users mailing list archives

From Tom Allison <talli...@tacocat.net>
Subject [users@httpd] very new but trying to learn.
Date Wed, 21 Dec 2005 12:36:15 GMT
I've been "fiddling" with some of the more advanced features of HTTP, or at
least trying.

I have the apache horse book from O'Reilly.
I am pretty certain I need to find something more basic than this.

I guess what I need is something that can give me a better understanding of just
what HTTP is all about.  In the past I've worked with RFC's on SMTP, IMAP, MIME
and other mail related documents and am assuming that there is one for HTTP as
well.  Yes, I'm writing this before I even look.

The reason is this.  If HTTP RFC's are anything like MIME and MIME-email RFC's
I'll probably kill myself with my mouse cord.  Even if it is more friendly and
straightforward can someone suggest some other URL's or books that would cover
the essentials of HTTP so I have a general understanding of requests,
redirections and what I can and cannot do with HTTP from a protocol level?

I'm hoping to gain some insight on the inner workings so that I can be more
intelligent about dynamic content using languages like Perl and other buzzwords
like XML and SOAP (at least to understand what they are and why I should care
and perhaps be able to do the basic "hello world").