httpd-users mailing list archives

From "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Windows ACL Wishes
Date Mon, 12 Dec 2005 23:44:05 GMT
William A. Rowe, Jr. wrote:
> Tatham Oddie (Fuel Advance) wrote:
>>
>> To make this work in IIS I click two checkboxes ... why is it so hard in
>> Apache?
>
> Because Apache != IIS?  FYI this doesn't work on Unix either.  Well it's
> possible to adapt.

...possible to adapt an MPM such as perchild, or one of the various third
party MPM's, to do user-by-vhost or user-by-auth'ed user.

On Unix any user can be impersonated, on Win32 kernel processes can't
impersonate without an impersonation (login) token.  So mod_auth_sspi,
by logging the user through the NT auth database, has a token it can use
to impersonate on the thread for the duration of the request.