httpd-users mailing list archives

From Bill Tangren <...@aa.usno.navy.mil>
Subject [users@httpd] content filtering by access
Date Fri, 09 Dec 2005 18:31:45 GMT
Hi,

I'm new to this forum, so I hope this question is being directed to the proper
place.

I run an apache server (2.0.52), and I have a number of employees here who
access restricted pages via

<Directory ...>
AuthUserFile conf/htpasswd.users
</Directory>

I have had no problems implementing this.

What I would like to do is to create .php web pages, in *non-restricted*
directories, that will have content that *is* restricted to those that pass the
test above. For example, when an employee goes to a nonrestricted page, he/she
sees "Hi stranger!" on the page, whereas when joe public goes there, he does not.

I'm looking at

http://us2.php.net/manual/en/ref.apache.php

which could be promising, but I'm unclear on what variable to check on.

Has anyone tried something like this, or know how I should proceed?

TIA,

Bill Tangren