httpd-users mailing list archives

From peter pilsl <>
Subject [users@httpd] mod_proxy_html : how to compress the proxied content?
Date Mon, 05 Dec 2005 13:54:40 GMT

I've the following scenario:

My server hosts a webpage (highly dynamic). A subpage of this webpage
should be available under a own domainname. should be the same as

The content delivered by the original page is compressed and so I set up
all my proxy-rules and added a statement:
RequestHeader unset Accept-Encoding

Now I want to know if there is a way to compress the finally delivered
webpage again after it was processed by mod_proxy_html?

If I add the SetOutputFilter DEFLATE  before the proxy-html-part the
delivered content is not compressed.  If I set it after, proxy-html does
not work proper.

Any trick?

thnx a lot,

my full config, which unfortunately does not deliver compressed content.

DocumentRoot /data/apache/knowledge

SetOutputFilter DEFLATE
BrowserMatch ^Mozilla/4 gzip-only-text/html
BrowserMatch ^Mozilla/4\.0[678] no-gzip
# BrowserMatch \bMSIE !no-gzip !gzip-only-text/html
BrowserMatch \bMSI[E] !no-gzip !gzip-only-text/html
SetEnvIfNoCase Request_URI \
\.(?:gif|jpe?g|png)$ no-gzip dont-vary
Header append Vary User-Agent env=!dont-vary

RequestHeader unset Accept-Encoding

SetOutputFilter proxy-html
#ProxyHTMLLogVerbose On
#LogLevel Debug

ProxyPass /files/
ProxyPass /images/
ProxyPass /static/

ProxyPass /

<Location />
	ProxyPassReverse /de/voev/
	ProxyHTMLURLMap /de/voev/ /
#	ProxyHTMLURLMap /de/voev/de/voev /de/voev

mag. peter pilsl
IT- & dataconsulting
+43 650 3574035

See <URL:> for more info.