httpd-users mailing list archives

From Rob Benton <>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] redirecting everything to ssl
Date Thu, 01 Dec 2005 18:38:21 GMT
Olaf van der Spek wrote:
> On 11/30/05, Rob Benton <> wrote:
>>I've got a site on my intranet running with mod_ssl.  This site used to
>>run over plain http://.  I'd like to redirect everyone trying to access
>>the old address to the new address via https://.
>>I tried just:
>>Redirect permanent http://site https://site
>>but I get a 400 Bad Request error.  I also looked at mod_rewrite but
>>wasn't sure if it would work for this.  What is the
>>simplest/best/easiest way to do this?
> I use:
>         RewriteEngine on
>         RewriteCond %{HTTP_HOST} !^ [NC]
>         RewriteRule ^/(.*)$1 [l,r=permanent]
> You would not use the Cond and use https in the Rule.

Just trying that gives me the infinite redirect loop.  So I tried
this(lifted from URL Rewriting Guide):

RewriteCond %{HTTP_HOST}   !^my\.site [NC]
RewriteCond %{HTTP_HOST}   !^$
RewriteCond %{SERVER_PORT} ^(80|443)$
RewriteRule ^/(.*)$1 [L,R]

That will direct all https:// traffic to the right hostname but trying
to use http:// still results in the bad request error:

"Your browser sent a request that this server could not understand.
Reason: You're speaking plain HTTP to an SSL-enabled server port.
Instead use the HTTPS scheme to access this URL, please."

I must have missed something else in the config file.  I have 2 Listen
directives, 1 for 80, and 1 for 443.

See <URL:> for more info.
To unsubscribe, e-mail:
   "   from the digest: