httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Adam" <a...@shomecom.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Apache 1.3 vs Apache 2
Date Wed, 07 Dec 2005 20:08:33 GMT
If your using the 4.4.1 version of php you might be having problems with the
bug described here http://bugs.php.net/bug.php?id=35067

I had to step up to the 4.4.1 dev version where that bug is patched.  The
problem was creating a situation where httpd process consumption would spike
out to 100% on one of my servers.  I updated to the developer snapshot of
php and everything went back to normal on that server.

I hope this helps.

Sincerely,
Adam Ossenford
----- Original Message -----
From: "Joshua Slive" <jslive@gmail.com>
To: <users@httpd.apache.org>
Sent: Wednesday, December 07, 2005 1:00 PM
Subject: Re: [users@httpd] Apache 1.3 vs Apache 2

On 12/7/05, Michael Jeung <mjeung@cisdata.net> wrote:

> Yesterday afternoon, we put this new server into production and it
> seemed to be behaving relatively OK, with system-load of 4-5.  We
> thought everything was going well and that this issue was wrapped
> up.  Serves us right - today we got into the office and found that
> loads on our server had spiked to 150.
>
> Before we pulled the server from production, we grabbed a few
> snapshots of what the system was doing.  After taking a look at
> these, I haven't been able to make much head-way.  If someone with
> more experience in this matter could take a look, I would greatly
> appreciate it.

You need to use tools like mod_status, your access_log, strace, and a
debugger to see what those processes are actually doing.  Given the
amount of memory they are using, they clearly aren't serving static
files, so this is likely something php or database related.

> Ultimately, my goal here is to get Apache to behave.  Any solution
> that will allow Apache to run without killing the server is
> acceptable -- including upgrading to Apache 2.  (Does Apache2
> outperform Apache 1.3?)

Apache 2 will outperform 1.3 in some cases because of sendfile
support, among other things.  But since your site looks very
php/database dependent, it's unlikely changing the underlying web
server will have any measurable effect.

Joshua.