httpd-users mailing list archives

From Joshua Slive <jsl...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Restricted directories
Date Tue, 15 Nov 2005 00:52:00 GMT
On 11/14/05, Brent Herring <brenth@uca.edu> wrote:
> I'm having a problem with Apache directory restrictions that I have not found this same
issue in the FAQ or archives. I get the feeling that the problem may be my lack of understanding
of some fundamental function of the server.

> I have a certain directory to which access is restricted by IP subnet. For example, only
clients from 192.168.66.* can access the files in the restricted directory. This actually
works fine when clients attempt to directly access the directory. If they are not in the proper
IP subnet then access is denied.

> The problem is this: Many pages on the web site are accessed by a Perl script. The script
writes out the page template that is the same for all the pages on the site, and then reads
in the data for each individual page from individual html files on the server. If you attempt
to access a file in the restricted directory using the script the web server directory restrictions
are ignored and the file is displayed.

> Is this what is supposed to happen? Since this isn't what I would like to happen, can
it be overcome?

You haven't given details on how the script is accessed or configured,
nor have you given useful things like log messages.  But in general,
it is safest to assure that *both* the script *and* the pages that it
accesses are restricted using Allow/Deny directives.  If you need more
help, be more specific about what you are doing by giving us concrete
examples.

Joshua.