httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Boyle Owen" <Owen.Bo...@swx.com>
Subject RE: [users@httpd] Defunct CGI processes
Date Mon, 07 Nov 2005 09:20:37 GMT
Plain text please...

This type of problem is impossible to analyse without a huge amount of additional information.
For starters:

- your apache version?
- are the log files on NFS?
- what applications run on the web (DB?)
- error-log messages?
- script-log?

Rgds,
Owen Boyle
Disclaimer: Any disclaimer attached to this message may be ignored. log?

-----Original Message-----
From: Marple Huckleby [mailto:marple.huckleby@gmail.com]
Sent: Freitag, 4. November 2005 20:15
To: users@httpd.apache.org
Subject: [users@httpd] Defunct CGI processes

  I submitted this a few days ago, and have not seen it come through - my apologies if it
has come through twice.

  I have a number of front-end web servers, which mount their DocumentRoot directory from
an NFS server.  Several versions ago, I began seeing defunct Perl processes (not mod_perl).
 I waited and upgraded with each new release, but the problem has not gone away.

  These servers run a relatively ancient version of Linux, so I decided to try something a
bit more modern in hopes that it would fix the problem, so I tried Fedora Core 4, compiling
and installing Apache by hand.  The problem actually became much, MUCH worse - the # of defunct
processes built up steadily and quickly, and after approximately an hour, the NFS server crashed.
 The NFS server (running Fedora Core 2) had been running without incident (or reboot) for
quite some time, about a year if I recall correctly.

  If anyone could point me in the right direction for resolving this issue, I would be very
grateful.  The configure options used are:

--prefix=/etc/httpd --enable-module=usertrack --enable-module=expires --enable-suexec --suexec-caller=www
--suexec-docroot=/webdata --suexec-userdir=/webdata --enable-module=rewrite

M. Huck

--
M. Huck

the sender's company.