httpd-users mailing list archives

From Ronald C.F.Antony <r...@cubiculum.com>
Subject [users@httpd] webDav access to home directory as user
Date Sat, 26 Nov 2005 17:28:09 GMT
Hi,

I have a scenario where a regular network file system is out of
question (firewall and ISP restrictions).

Users have regular accounts on a Linux machine, where they store
their files, and if they are security critical, also have a user
mountable cryptoloop file system which is mounted via ssh script on
demand, if access is required and unmounted when no longer needed.
This cryptoloop file system is mounted on a mount point below each
user's home.

What I need is a way to give users the ability to mount their regular
home directories via SSL secured webDAV in such a way that
a) their regular user names and passwords apply (no separate "web
passwords")
b) all files are accessed by the webDAV server with the privileges of
the user logged in, i.e. regular Unix permissions apply and files are
created with the proper ownerships and permissions if they are uploaded.

a) and b) are important because the users may use the files sometimes
directly on the Linux computer, and sometimes via the WebDAV mount.
In other words, something that requires syncing of "regular files"
and "files in a WebDAV repository" isn't called for, and we can't
require special permissions on the files or risk that WebDAV writes
files with permissions that prevents the user from fully manipulating
the files when logged in on the Linux machine proper.

Is there a recommended way of doing this? I can't really find much
documentation on how to use either regular user passwords for (SSL
secured) WebDAV login, or how to make sure that the WebDAV file
operations are executed with the UID/GID of the user using the service.

Any pointers highly welcome!

Greetings,

Ronald