httpd-users mailing list archives

From Senthil Nathan <rsen...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] scripts run very slow in the Apache server
Date Mon, 28 Nov 2005 08:18:40 GMT
hi,
I use the apache server version 2.0
and the machine runs Sun OS 5.8 on Ultra 10,  300MHz speed.

I checked by printing the time at the start of the cgi and at the end
of the cgi, which
the diff gives the time taken to run the script.

The browser connects to the server via internet, ADSL leased line.

The script basically parses XML file and generates the output in the
browser and has some images to display a tree structure. In total it
takes around 8000 bytes.

Yeah as you guess it should be the network problem.
So, what would you suggest to improve this, other than hardware upgradation.

thanks
senthil

On 11/28/05, Boyle Owen <Owen.Boyle@swx.com> wrote:
> Plain text please...
>
> You have to give a lot more details about your network before anyone can make a guess
about this (OS and apache version would also be useful). In the meantime, here's a few questions:

> - How *exactly* did you time the script to 4s? I assume you mean you ran it from the
command line like:

>         $ time myscript.pl
>
> - How does the browser connect to the server? Same machine, via LAN, via internet (if
so, how? via ADSL, via dial-up?)

> - What does the script do?
>         - Does it access a DB? use files on a network? (eg, NFS), access another URL
somewhere?
>         - Does it generate (as opposed to fetching) images?
>
> - What is the total size of the script output (HTML plus images)?
>
> Your problem sounds more like network latency than anything else...
>
> Rgds,
> Owen Boyle

server and run the cgi script on it.
> actually my cgi script takes 4sec to run, which i checked out using the timestamp.
>
> but when accessing from the browser, it takes more time to run.
> how can this be improved???
>
> any idea would be helpful.
>
> thanks
> senthil
> Diese E-mail ist eine private und persönliche Kommunikation. Sie hat keinen Bezug zur
Börsen- bzw. Geschäftstätigkeit der SWX Gruppe. This e-mail is of a private and personal
nature. It is not related to the exchange or business activities of the SWX Group. Le présent
e-mail est un message privé et personnel, sans rapport avec l'activité boursière du Groupe
SWX.

> This message is for the named person's use only. It may contain confidential, proprietary
the sender's company.