httpd-users mailing list archives

From "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] .htaccess Creation Under Windows
Date Wed, 30 Nov 2005 21:25:58 GMT
Michael Avila wrote:
> Is there a way to create an .htaccess file under Windows XP Pro? I would
> like to locked down a directory from direct outside connection but Windows
> does not like that type of filename.

Windows likes most filesnames if you put them in quotes.  Even try saving
a file from notepad as ".htaccess" - it loves it.

Your problem is that MS tools are bad with file names and extentions, but then
again, so is Mac OS/X and most any other squishy-GUI-feelgood user interface.

Another FYI - if you want to save the file "NOTICE", you have to quote it from
notepad or it's saved as "NOTICE.txt" - I don't see this is any different.

> Would it be easier just to rename all of the .htaccess files to something
> else and change the Apache conf file to reflect the change?

That would contradict and make the docs harder to follow, so as distributed,
httpd on win32 uses .htaccess