httpd-users mailing list archives

From "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] + in URL
Date Mon, 21 Nov 2005 04:34:51 GMT
Jacob Eshed wrote:
> Hi Bill,
> Thanks for your prompt answer.
> The '&sub_cat=Art + Design' was entered as parameter in Microsoft
> Internet Browser 6. as a url address:
>
> <_http://server.name:port/V/?func=some_function&mode=category&category=Category

> Name&sub_cat=Art + Design&restricted=all_
> <http://server.name:port/V/?func=some_function&mode=category&category=Category

> Name&sub_cat=Art + Design&restricted=all>>

So the user, if they TYPED this into the URL bar, actually placed three spaces
in a row.  Any '+' symbols in a query argument (the portion of the URI following
the '?') is clearly defined by the HTTP URI specification to indicate a space.

(This is historically because spaces are altogether invalid in a URI, in spite
of MS IIS's broken implementation, and because the original query arguments were
assumed to be search keywords of some sort, meaning "search.cgi?help+http" was
expected to be searching the help and the http keywords, seperated by a space.)

There is no bug, only user error here.

To prove it, create a form submission html page, and in the text of the query
input text, type test+me.  You will see that all browsers escape the '+' to
ensure it's treated as a literal '+'.

Bill