httpd-users mailing list archives

From Mike Dewhirst <mi...@dewhirst.com.au>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] basic auth config
Date Sun, 13 Nov 2005 06:51:06 GMT
Joshua Slive wrote:
> On 11/12/05, Mike Dewhirst <miked@dewhirst.com.au> wrote:
>

>>Does apache2ctl confirm that httpd actually reads that file on startup?
>

> Depends on how httpd normally gets started.  If it is started using
> apache2ctl, then that is a good indication.

OK - on investigation it ain't apachectl. It is httpd. I ran httpd -t
and it complained about FooBar Nonsense too.

So - we are definitely reading the conf files. That means ...

1. I'm not reaching the right directory - Yes I am. 100% sure.

2. Some sort of caching? 100% no way. I've tried four different browsers
on three different machines.

3. Apache is reading the conf but ignoring the directive for some reason

What else do I need for Basic Auth to work?

As it happens, I have subversion running via apache on that machine and
when I access it from a foreign machine it asks me to authenticate. I
have copied subversion.conf below. Maybe I should copy that?

Modules? I deleted all files in /etc/apache2/sysconfig.d and restarted
the computer whereupon we got a brand-new loadmodule.conf ...

#
# Files in this directory are created at apache start time by
/usr/sbin/rcapache2.
# Do not edit them!
#

# as listed in APACHE_MODULES (/etc/sysconfig/apache2)

LoadModule access_module
/usr/lib/apache2-prefork/mod_access.so
LoadModule actions_module
/usr/lib/apache2-prefork/mod_actions.so
LoadModule alias_module
/usr/lib/apache2-prefork/mod_alias.so
LoadModule asis_module
/usr/lib/apache2-prefork/mod_asis.so
LoadModule auth_module
/usr/lib/apache2-prefork/mod_auth.so
LoadModule autoindex_module
/usr/lib/apache2-prefork/mod_autoindex.so
LoadModule cgi_module
/usr/lib/apache2-prefork/mod_cgi.so
LoadModule dav_module
/usr/lib/apache2-prefork/mod_dav.so
LoadModule dav_svn_module                 /usr/lib/apache2/mod_dav_svn.so
LoadModule authz_svn_module               /usr/lib/apache2/mod_authz_svn.so
LoadModule dir_module
/usr/lib/apache2-prefork/mod_dir.so
LoadModule env_module
/usr/lib/apache2-prefork/mod_env.so
LoadModule imap_module
/usr/lib/apache2-prefork/mod_imap.so
LoadModule include_module
/usr/lib/apache2-prefork/mod_include.so
LoadModule log_config_module
/usr/lib/apache2-prefork/mod_log_config.so
LoadModule mime_module
/usr/lib/apache2-prefork/mod_mime.so
LoadModule negotiation_module
/usr/lib/apache2-prefork/mod_negotiation.so
LoadModule setenvif_module
/usr/lib/apache2-prefork/mod_setenvif.so
#

Here is /etc/apache2/conf.d/subversion.conf

# see /usr/share/doc/packages/subversion for the full documentation
#

<IfModule mod_dav_svn.c>

##
## project related HTML files
##
<IfModule mod_alias.c>
   Alias /repos    /srv/svn/html
</IfModule>
<Directory /srv/svn/html>
         Options         Indexes +Multiviews -FollowSymLinks
         IndexOptions    FancyIndexing \
                         ScanHTMLTitles \
                         NameWidth=* \
                         DescriptionWidth=* \
                         SuppressLastModified \
                         SuppressSize

         order allow,deny
         allow from all
</Directory>
<Location /repos>
    DAV svn
    SVNParentPath /srv/svn/repos
    AuthzSVNAccessFile /srv/svn/user_access/access-policy
    #<moved from LimitExcept>
    # how to authenticate users
    AuthType Basic
    AuthName "repositories"
    AuthUserFile /srv/svn/user_access/auth-file
    Require valid-user
    #</moved from LimitExcept>

    # move 'Require valid-user' to here
    # to provide public read only access
    # and require a valid user for GET etc below
    <LimitExcept GET PROPFIND OPTIONS REPORT>
       #
    </LimitExcept>
</Location>
</IfModule>