httpd-users mailing list archives

From Guy Knights <g.knig...@qut.edu.au>
Subject [users@httpd] Apache 2/Mod_JK 1.2 Slow File Download
Date Thu, 10 Nov 2005 23:03:22 GMT
Hi,

*The below was originally sent to the Tomcat users mailing list. Since
then, we've discovered that the problem DOES NOT occur when we use
apache 1.3, so we have moved all our sites back to this version. It is
also not limited to PDFs apparently, but happens with all files. The
PDFs just happened to be quite large (12MB), so it's more noticeable.

However, we would still like to know if anyone has as resolution for the
issue we were experiencing.

We're having some difficulties with PDFs being served by our intranet.
The Intranet is served by Tomcat (5.5.9), via Apache (2.0.54), using
mod_jk 1.2.4. This server was set up in the fairly recent past as a
replacement for a much older server running apache 1.3.x, tomcat 4.1 and
an older version of mod_jk (not sure which one exactly).

The problem is that the PDFs take AGES to download to client machines
when they are accessed. This is in contrast to the old server, where
there was no delay problem at all in serving exactly the same documents.

The troubleshooting we've performed so far includes:

- bypassing apache altogether to access the PDFs via tomcat. The PDFs
accessed in this fashion downloaded with NO delay.

- compiling and installing the latest mod_jk connector (1.2.6) and
testing this with a test copy of apache (2.0.54) and the same copy of
tomcat. This didn't solve the problem.

- using the older mod_jk connector from the old server. The connector
worked ok, but the documents were still served really slowly

I should point out that we need to serve these PDFs via tomcat, as we
are using a proprietary java library which authenticates users with our
central auth server. If we serve the PDFs directly via apache, they will
be able to download the PDFs without being authenticated. We could also
change the links to the PDFs to serve them via tomcat directly, but we'd
then have to allow access to a different port through our border
firewall, which is not a popular option as we don't need to serve
anything else in this way.

The mod_jk configuration in our tomcat's server.xml file is included below:

<Connector
port="8080"
redirectPort="8443"
minSpareThreads="25"
connectionTimeout="20000"
maxThreads="150"
maxSpareThreads="75"
maxHttpHeaderSize="8192">
</Connector>
<Connector
port="8009"
redirectPort="8443"
debug="0"
enableLookups="false"
protocol="AJP/1.3">
</Connector>

I added the following directives to the first <Connector> tag above, but
the problem still occurred:

disableUploadTimeout="false"
enableLookups="false"
acceptCount="10"
secure="false"
maxKeepAliveRequests="100"
tcpNoDelay="true"
useURIValidationHack="false"
compression="off"
connectionLinger="-1"
tomcatAuthentication="true"
connectionUploadTimeout="300000"
serverSocketTimeout="0"
bufferSize="2048"
proxyPort="0"

Our workers.properties file:

# workers.properties.minimal -
#
# This file provides minimal jk configuration properties needed to
# connect to Tomcat.
#
# The workers that jk should create and work with
#
workers.tomcat_home=/usr/local/tomcat5
workers.java_home=/usr/local/jdk

worker.list=ajp13w

#
# Defining a worker named ajp13w and of type ajp13
# Note that the name and the type do not have to match.
#
worker.ajp13w.type=ajp13
worker.ajp13w.host=localhost
worker.ajp13w.port=8009
worker.ajp13w.cachesize=10
worker.ajp13w.cache_timeout=600
worker.ajp13w.socket_keepalive=1
worker.ajp13w.socket_timeout=300

Does anyone have any suggestions, or even better, solutions to this
problem? It's driving us a bit spare. I've also tried this with the
latest version of Tomcat (5.5.12), but the same problem still occurs.

Thanks,
Guy

--
Guy Knights