httpd-users mailing list archives

From Alan Gutierrez <alan-httpd-us...@engrm.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] mod_proxy buffers chunked data...
Date Thu, 17 Nov 2005 19:22:42 GMT
* Alan Gutierrez <alan-httpd-users@engrm.com> [2005-11-17 11:42]:
> * inder sabharwal <inder1@sbcglobal.net> [2005-11-15 11:43]:
>
> > I have a server that sends data using Transfer-Encoding: Chunked, but
> > mod_proxy is buffering up the data until it hits the internal limit of
> > 8K.  Our client application expects to receive data from the server over
> > a period of time, and doesnot know the length of the data in advance.
>
> > I have looked at bugs 19954 and 34876, which claim to have fixed this in
> > the latest version of apache, but apparently it is not so. I have tried
> > it on the following apache servers:
>
> > 1.) Server version: Apache/2.0.46
> > Server built:   Nov  5 2004 10:58:21
>
> > 2.) Server version: Apache/2.0.55
> > Server built:   Nov 15 2005 00:06:22
>
> > 3.) The 2.1 beta available from apache.org.
>
> > Is there a patch available somewhere that I could use or a configuration
> > item that I may be missing out?
>
> I am facing the same problem. I've tested against Apache/2.0.48.
>
> I'm glad to see that you've tested against other versions, and can
> confirm my experience. Unfortunately, I don't have an answer for how
> to fix this. I'd like to hear one.
>
> Is this considered a bug for a feature? I can see how it might be
> benificial to buffer chunks and send them along as a larger chunk,
> for some applications.
>
> It might be a missuse of HTTP to expect chunking to work this way,
> but it would certianly make it easier on my particular application.

It doesn't look like a misuse, since I've encountered a lot of
similiar complaints. So...

The solution that was applied to mod_proxy appears to perform some
sort of test to see if a read from the upstream server will block.
If that's the case, the buffer is flushed before 8192.

Is there something I can add to my Servlet that says, yes, you're
going to block?

--
Alan Gutierrez - alan@engrm.com - http://engrm.com/blogometer/