httpd-users mailing list archives

From Daniel McBrearty <danielmcbrea...@gmail.com>
Subject [users@httpd] spurious "user not found" with basic auth
Date Tue, 04 Oct 2005 18:33:59 GMT
Hi

I'm using Apache 1.3.33 on Debian system. Server runs behind an ADSL
modem/router with dynamic IP. I use perl cgi and mod_perl (I use extension .cgm
the tell apache when something is mod_perl rather than plain cgi).

To autheticate a small group of users I use a very simple .htaccess file :

AuthType Basic
AuthName "PROTECTED PAGE"
AuthUserFile /home/someone/path/to/users
Require valid-user

and the file users is a perfectly normal password file

Mostly this works absolutely fine. But occasionally one of my users has trouble
logging in. In the logs I can see :

[Mon Oct  3 08:08:09 2005] [error] [client 220.237.229.210] user whoever not
found: /path

This is 15 or 20 times over the space of a few minutes. Usually she has no
trouble. I can't see any other events happening at the same time that might give
a clue. I am able to login myself with no problems.

has anyone any idea of issues that might cause some kind of intermittent problem
like this?

Thanks

daniel