httpd-users mailing list archives

From Joshua Slive <jsl...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Setup .htaccess on cgi-bin directory
Date Fri, 14 Oct 2005 01:32:36 GMT
On 10/13/05, budsz <budiyt@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Folks.
>
> Last night I was try to find solution setup .htaccess to protection
> access cgi-bin directory.  I use apache_1.3.33, php-4.3.10,
> openssl-0.9.7h, mod_ssl-2.8.22-1.3.33
> on FreeBSD 4.X mechine, but after I do upgrade openssl-0.9.7h from
> source tarball (Before I use openssl-0.9.6h), I can't see dialog box
> for input Login/Password from my client.
>
> httpd.conf:
>
> <Directory "/www/cgi-bin/awstats/client">
>         AllowOverride AuthConfig
>         Options None
>         Order allow,deny
>         Allow from all
>  </Directory>
>
> And from /www/cgi-bin/awstat/client/.htaccess:
>
> AuthType Basic
> AuthName "Netmon Utility"
> AuthUserFile /www/passwd/user/.htpasswd-netmon
> AuthGroupFile /dev/null
>
> <Limit POST GET PUT>
> require valid-user
> </Limit>
>
> Would you help me.

Several issues here (it appears you are using a lousy tutorial from someplace):

1. The <Limit> and </Limit> lines should not be used.  Check the
documentation on this directive.

2. AuthGroupFile should be simply omitted if you aren't using groups.

3. There is no need to use an .htaccess file.  Simple put the
directives in an appropriate <Directory> section in httpd.conf.

4. Is the directory called awstat or awstats.  You have a conflict in
your description.

Joshua.