httpd-users mailing list archives

From Warren Beldad <advisor...@gmail.com>
Subject [users@httpd] how can I serve pages while running as a root
Date Wed, 12 Oct 2005 06:19:22 GMT
Hi all,
 I am new to this list and also a newbie on apache :-((
I just want to ask on how can I serve pages while running as a root. I know
this is a big security risk, but i really need to run as a root. ex. create
a user, etc...modify the sudoers file still no success.
i found another of this in the list last month but there are no answers.
 I change the user to root in httpd.conf and restart the service. "Error,
apache has not been designed to run as a root... If you still desire, add
-DBIG_SECURITY_HOLE to the EXTRA_CFLAGS in src/Configuration file........"
I modify the src/Configuration file:
 EXTRA_CFLAGS =-DBIG_SECURITY_HOLE
and then rebuild the server...
./configure --prefix=/usr/local/apache --server-uid=root --server-gid=root
make
make install
and the start apachectl
still fails...the same error.