httpd-users mailing list archives

From Olaf van der Spek <olafvds...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Connecting C++ server with Apache: AJP?
Date Mon, 31 Oct 2005 15:52:01 GMT
> > No, because I'd like it to be (more) independent of the web server.
> > Apache could be either multi-threaded or multi-processed, but my app
> > would be single-threaded (epoll).
>
> That's a lot of constraints to be putting on yourself if they're
> not there already - imposed by existing software!

Why?
I expect no CPU intensive algorithms, so a single thread and a single
process look like the best approach. If such an algorithm would be
needed I'd probably use a few worker threads to execute them, but I'd
not use one thread per connection/request.

> > Also, if my app crashes, the web server shouldn't crash.
>
> So, the opposite of the PHP approach :^)

Yes.
Actually, I'm wondering why such an approach isn't frequently used for PHP too.

> > This would be connecting to an 'application' server (if that's the right
> > word).
>
> Indeed, but that says nothing about the protocol used.

But is DBD suitable for talking to an app server?
It could be if it's generalised to RPC.

> > I'd like to cache (much) more than connections.
>
> Apache has mod_cache for cacheing contents.

But that's not usable due to the requirement of independence from Apache.