httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Boyle Owen" <Owen.Bo...@swx.com>
Subject RE: [users@httpd] security issue
Date Wed, 19 Oct 2005 10:20:48 GMT
Plain text please...

> There was a process running on the server which was downloaded to tmp directory
> by using wget from a script making rpc calls on the server.

If I understand you correctly:

- some script running on another machine made a remote procedure call (RPC) to your server.
- the rpc caused the server to run wget
- wget downloaded a file to /tmp
- this file was daemon which ran on the server and did something bad.

So to make your server more secure, first of all, disable RPC (I assume Linux?):
http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/securing-debian-howto/ch-sec-services.en.html#s-rpc

Generally speaking, on a dedicated webserver you should disable telnet, smtp, finger, etc.
Have a look at:
http://www.yolinux.com/TUTORIALS/LinuxTutorialInternetSecurity.html

General tips for apache config:
http://httpd.apache.org/docs/1.3/misc/security_tips.html