httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Glynn Lawrence" <Lawrence.Gl...@dotars.gov.au>
Subject [users@httpd] Page caches
Date Mon, 31 Oct 2005 22:59:03 GMT
Classification: UNCLASSIFIED

We run an Apache 2.x (sorry, I do not know the exact version) on Windows
Server 2003.

I am trying to stop certain pages being cached as users complain they
can not see the up to date version.

Using a test page called testrefresh.html I put the following in the
<head>

<META HTTP-EQUIV="refresh" CONTENT="30;
URL=http://rvcs-prodweb.dot.gov.au/testrefresh.html">

and that forces the page to reload every 30 seconds which picks up any
new content.

But it also means the page is constantly being reloaded. Also, one of
the key pages I want to keep fresh is a menu and users do not dwell
there long.  Setting the refresh to about 2 seconds is not really
feasible. Another one is  a page which collects a username/password so
refreshing is not desirable.

I have tried <meta http-equiv="Pragma" content="no-cache">, <meta
http-equiv="Expires" content="-1"> and <meta http-equiv="Cache-Control"
content="no-cache, must-revalidate"> but none cause the page to be
loaded from the server on access. In all cases using the refresh button
or the refresh statement causes the content to be refreshed.

I have seen various references to cache related statements which are
probably in the Apache config file but frankly it may as well be in
Greek as far as I am concerned.

Is there some server setting which is preventing the cache control
working?

Or to put it another way, is there a server setting I can use which fill
force the pages to not be cached? and if so can I then choose which
pages to allow into cache? and if so how?

Lawrence Glynn