httpd-users mailing list archives

From Axel-St├ęphane SMORGRAV <Axel-Stephane.SMORG...@europe.adp.com>
Subject RE: [users@httpd] Inbound, Non-HTTP Proxy
Date Tue, 11 Oct 2005 06:26:33 GMT
I would tend to think that Apache is not suited for your purpose. Once upon a time, there was
a little firewall utility called TIS Firewall Toolkit (FWTK) http://www.fwtk.org/fwtk/docs/admin_guide.pdf
that probably does what you want. You may be particularly interested in PLUG-GW.

-ascs

-----Original Message-----
From: Nick Gianakas [mailto:nick@wheeloyum.com]
Sent: Tuesday, October 11, 2005 6:57 AM
To: users@httpd.apache.org
Subject: [users@httpd] Inbound, Non-HTTP Proxy

First off, thanks for an excellent server!

I wonder if anyone can point me in a direction.
I read through the modules on httpd.apache.org and did some cursory Googling to no avail.

I'm running a software server which is publicly available on the web (application service
provider model).  It's a more-or-less typical server that listens for and communicates (bidirectionally
and
asynchronously) with clients.

I use Apache for the web server and this custom server for the application (currently Java,
may be C/C++ in the future).
Everything works great.

I noticed that users who are behind a corporate firewall which only allows HTTP outbound connections
cannot connect to the software server (which listens on its own ports).

So I'd like to be able to use Apache to act as a proxy for connections to this backend server
so clients can (hopefully) get past their firewall.
Basically, when a connection arrives, Apache somehow determines if the connection is for the
backend server (perhaps via a GET for a particular URL or perhaps a custom request like WOY
(instead of GET/POST/etc) ) and then somehow relays the connection and/or the data to the
backend server.  The backend server maintains a persistent connection with the clients.  That
is, it's not a strict one-time request-respond-close connection.  I suppose it's more like
HTTP 1.1 persistent connections, but the client and server communicate asynchronously--very
much like a chat server.

I saw the proxy module but it's designed for web protocols (HTTP and possibly FTP).

I appreciate any help/suggestions/pointers.

Best regards,
Nick