httpd-users mailing list archives

From Dotan Cohen <dotanco...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Changing Document Root
Date Tue, 11 Oct 2005 14:46:15 GMT
On 10/10/05, Boyle Owen <Owen.Boyle@swx.com> wrote:
> [...]
quote verbatim (cut'n'paste) the error message in the error_log and describe what happens
without usnig the phrase "doesn't work" (which could mean anything...)

> Rgds,
> Owen Boyle
>

> > Dotan Cohen
> > http://technology-sleuth.com/

> This message is for the named person's use only. It may contain confidential, proprietary
the sender's company.

Thanks Owen and everybody else. The error I get in the browser is:
Forbidden
Additionally, a 403 Forbidden error was encountered while trying to
use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

The error I get in the log is:
[Tue Oct 11 16:47:32 2005] [error] [client 127.0.0.1] (13)Permission
denied: access to / denied
[Tue Oct 11 16:47:32 2005] [error] [client 127.0.0.1] (13)Permission
denied: access to /favicon.ico denied
[Tue Oct 11 16:47:32 2005] [error] [client 127.0.0.1] (13)Permission
denied: access to /favicon.ico denied

The facts are:
When I change the DocRoot back to /home/dotancohen/www/public_html all
works as expected. When I change to /var/www/html I get the errors
described. /var/www and /var/www/html are permissions 744. I restart
apache whenever I change the httpd.conf file.

Might I be changing httpd.cong in a not correct manner? I do it by
commenting/uncommenting these lines:
------
# DocumentRoot: The directory out of which you will serve your
# documents. By default, all requests are taken from this directory, but
# symbolic links and aliases may be used to point to other locations.
DocumentRoot "/var/www/html"
# DocumentRoot "/home/dotancohen/www/public_html"

# This should be changed to whatever you set DocumentRoot to.
<Directory "/var/www/html">
# <Directory "/home/dotancohen/www/public_html">
------

Dotan
http://technology-sleuth.com