httpd-users mailing list archives

From Nick Gianakas <n...@wheeloyum.com>
Subject RE: [users@httpd] Inbound, Non-HTTP Proxy
Date Thu, 13 Oct 2005 09:43:38 GMT
Your feedback made me step back and rethink the issue.
I have decided to pursue tunneling the connection through the HTTP
proxy.

Thank you for your time and feedback.

Best regards,
Nick

On Tue, 2005-10-11 at 08:26 +0200, Axel-St├ęphane SMORGRAV wrote:
> I would tend to think that Apache is not suited for your purpose. Once upon a time, there
was a little firewall utility called TIS Firewall Toolkit (FWTK) http://www.fwtk.org/fwtk/docs/admin_guide.pdf
that probably does what you want. You may be particularly interested in PLUG-GW.

> -ascs

provider model).  It's a more-or-less typical server that listens for and communicates (bidirectionally
and
> asynchronously) with clients.
>
> I use Apache for the web server and this custom server for the application (currently
Java, may be C/C++ in the future).
> Everything works great.
>
> I noticed that users who are behind a corporate firewall which only allows HTTP outbound
connections cannot connect to the software server (which listens on its own ports).

> So I'd like to be able to use Apache to act as a proxy for connections to this backend
server so clients can (hopefully) get past their firewall.
> Basically, when a connection arrives, Apache somehow determines if the connection is
for the backend server (perhaps via a GET for a particular URL or perhaps a custom request
like WOY (instead of GET/POST/etc) ) and then somehow relays the connection and/or the data
to the backend server.  The backend server maintains a persistent connection with the clients.
 That is, it's not a strict one-time request-respond-close connection.  I suppose it's more
like HTTP 1.1 persistent connections, but the client and server communicate asynchronously--very
much like a chat server.