httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Duncan Drury" <d.dr...@gmail.com>
Subject RE: [users@httpd] Re: Simple way to make directories display a list of its files
Date Wed, 05 Oct 2005 08:51:46 GMT
> Speaking of log messages... I keep seeing this in error_log:
>
> [Tue Oct 04 19:38:03 2005] [error] [client 192.168.0.4] File does not
> exist: /var/www/localhost/htdocs/favicon.ico
>
> How can I tell what is looking for this file.  And where to get it?

Many recent browsers automatically request a favicon.ico located in the root
directory of all sites they visit.  It is the little icon you see next to
the URL and Bookmarks for some sites.

There is a handy web application for making these from any image file at
http://www.chami.com/html-kit/services/favicon/ - if you save one of these
as favicon.ico in the root of each site you will stop seeing these error
messages.  They are safely ignorable too.

Dunx