httpd-users mailing list archives

From Scott Gifford <sgiff...@suspectclass.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Different security based on network interface
Date Tue, 13 Sep 2005 23:03:58 GMT
"AragonX" <aragonx@dcsnow.com> writes:

[...]

> I know that mod_access and I think mod_security will allow me to do this
> but they do it based on IP address.  I'm afraid someone will spoof the IP
> addresses of the internal network to bypass this security measure.

The easiest way to do this is with a firewall.  Set up a firewall on
your external interface that blocks all packets claiming to be from
your internal interface.  Your OS should have a tool to do this
(iptables on modern Linux).  It's also smart to do this at your
perimeter router; since lots of random things use IP addresses as
access control it's wise to stop anything fishy before it gets into
your building.

----Scott.