httpd-users mailing list archives

From Joshua Slive <jsl...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Alias Directive Issue (403 Forbidden Error)
Date Mon, 26 Sep 2005 19:01:06 GMT
On 9/26/05, Trystan Hughes <trystano@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I want to create an Alias in the apache httpd.conf file and have done
> so like this
>
> <IfModule mod_alias.c>
> Alias /test_alias/ "C:\Documents and Settings\Trystan\My Documents\"
> </IfModule>

Two notes already:
1. Don't put something in an <IfModule> block unless you have some
specific reason to do so.  (The only valid specific reason is that you
expect at some point to remove mod_alias and you want your config to
continue working.)
2. Always use forward slashes in the apache config, even for windows paths.

> So, what this should effective do is to print the directory contents
> of 'My Documents' directory when I enter the following URL into my
> browser...
>
> http://localhost/text_alias/
>
> I get a 403 Forbidden Error.
>
> Why is this? How can I check to see what user the Apache server is
> running under?

Check the apache error log to start.  The user can be determined by
looking in the "Run as" section of the services control panel for the
apache service.

Joshua.