httpd-users mailing list archives

From Joshua Slive <jsl...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] block empty referrer?
Date Tue, 13 Sep 2005 13:02:28 GMT
On 9/12/05, Erik Svensson <ZekeVarg@linux.se> wrote:
> How can I block hits like this:
>
> xx.xxx.xxx.xxx - - [04/Sep/2005:20:03:48 +0200] "GET / HTTP/1.0" 200
> 5109 "-" "-" "-"
>
> I´m geting about 50-70 hits a day from different ip-numbers and there is
> constantly new ones, so blocking the ip-numbers in my firewall seems to
> be a hopless task.
> I´ve searched for and tried a lot of different ide´s for .htaccess files
> but not found anyone that worked for me.
>
> By the way, does anyone know what is causing these hits?

SetEnvIf Referer ^$ empty_referer
Deny from env=empty_referer

But this will also deny some legitimate requests that have an empty
referer.  It would be a little safer to deny only if both Referer and
User-Agent were empty, but you would still block some good requests.

In general, 50-70 requests per day is just background noise for most
sites and should simply be ignored.

Joshua.