httpd-users mailing list archives

From Peter Nimda <p.ni...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] ftp access to virtual hosts (Fedore Core and a like)
Date Sat, 17 Sep 2005 08:18:31 GMT
Hi Davide,

thanks for your reply! Before asking about details I'd like to
remove possible ambiguity:

- every virtual host should be associated with ITS OWN one user.

So, every virtual host gets its corresponding user responsible for
content. Definitely not 1 same user for all virtual hosts.

Now let's me ask about details:

> Assign the DocRoot of every virtual host as homedir of one user,
> configure your ftp server to chroot each user in his own homedir,
> fix the umask of the user to have the files/dirs with the
> correct permissions (644/755).

Does it imply, that I have to move content of virtual hosts from
/var/www/  -- as it is by default in Fedore Core 4 -- to the corresponding
home directories of /home/ ?

IMHO, idea to keep content of all virtual hosts in some common
directory (/var/www) looks quite nice to me. Indeed, if for some virtual
host there will appear a second user allowed to manage some content
of the virtual host too then this second user should not get write
permissions to home dir of first user who managed contents of virtual
host.

So, still not fully clear...

Thanks again, Davide.
--