httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Boyle Owen" <Owen.Bo...@swx.com>
Subject RE: [users@httpd] Both IP based and name based virtual host on same server.
Date Wed, 14 Sep 2005 11:16:35 GMT
-----Original Message-----
From: Arun G Nair [mailto:arungnair@gmail.com]

> Atlast I got it working !!!! So name based virtual hosting *is* possible with mod_ssl.

No it isn't. You only have encryption working. You do not have authentication.

Just to put the record straight for anyone in the future who might read this thread, the poster
is running a development setup and is only interested in having the HTTP session encrypted.
He does not car that all the namebsed hosts are using the same certificate (the cert from
the first VH). THis is fine if you only want to encrypt the traffic but is useless in a commercial
environement where it is essential that the common name in the cert matches the URL the user
typed in. Put it this way; would you be happy to type your credit-card number into a webpage
which had "amazon" in the address bar but where if you looked into the cert you saw that the
common name was "dodgy-dealer.com"?

Another analogy: if you had a million dollars to send to the bank and an armoured car arrived
to collect it, would you be happy to put your cash in the car? It would be safe from robbers
on its way to the bank, but how would you know it was really going to go to the bank? You'd
ask the driver for some ID, I'd hope!

In the real world, authentication is every bit as important as encrpytion so this is no real
solution.

Rgds,
Owen Boyle

----------httpd.conf---------

< IfModule mod_ssl.c >     Listen 443     Listen 80     AddType application/x-x509-ca-cert
.crt     AddType application/x-pkcs7-crl .crl< / IfModule >< IfModule mod_ssl.c >
     SSLCACertificateFile /etc/apache/ssl.crt/ca-bundle.crt     SSLPassPhraseDialog builtin
    SSLSessionCache dbm:/var/run/ssl_scache     SSLSessionCacheTimeout 300     SSLMutex file:/var/run/ssl_mutex
     SSLRandomSeed startup builtin     SSLRandomSeed connect builtin< / IfModule >NameVirtualHost
172.16.2.0:80<VirtualHost
172.16.2.0:80>        ServerName abcn.com        DocumentRoot /var/www/abc</VirtualHost>#
SSL Virtual HostsNameVirtualHost
172.16.2.0:443< VirtualHost 172.16.2.0:443 >    DocumentRoot /var/www/abc    ServerName
secure.abcn.com    SSLEngine on
    SSLCertificateFile    /etc/apache/ssl.crt/server.crt    SSLCertificateKeyFile /etc/apache/ssl.key/server.pem
   SetEnvIf User-Agent ".*MSIE.*" nokeepalive ssl-unclean-shutdown    CustomLog /var/log/ssl_request_log
\
        "%t %h %{SSL_PROTOCOL}x %{SSL_CIPHER}x \"%r\" %b"< / VirtualHost >

Let me know if this can be trimmed down some more. Thanx everyone, especially Davide.

Regards,
Arun

the sender's company.