httpd-users mailing list archives

From "PINNI, BALANAND \(SBCSI\)" <bp3...@sbc.com>
Subject RE: [users@httpd] Httpd processes are not dying
Date Tue, 13 Sep 2005 17:24:57 GMT

Just an FYI IBM does not recommend this combination:
to WAS 5.0.2 / I.H.S. 1.3.26.2 combination.
For WAS 5.0 YOU NEED TO install HIS 2.0.42.X

Thank

Balanand Pinni
23-H-4
SBC Services Inc
OBC ,Stl MO
*   314-206-5911
* bp3965@momail.sbc.com

-----Original Message-----
From: Joshua Slive [mailto:jslive@gmail.com]
Sent: Tuesday, September 13, 2005 12:22 PM
To: users@httpd.apache.org
Subject: Re: [users@httpd] Httpd processes are not dying

On 9/13/05, Mishra, Pawan <Pawan.Mishra@fmr.com> wrote:
> Hi Joshua,
>
> I am not sure you remember the problem I stated last time so I am
> listing it here again. You had asked me to run mod_status. I have
> attached the output of the mod_status too.
>
> Problem: The httpd processes keep getting accumulated in the memory
and
> are not dying timely as expected. This happens even when there is no
use
> of the application for hours. There are times when we see more that 70
> such processes even when application has not been used for 6-7 hours.
> Since these processes donot dye in timely manner, they keep getting
> accumulated till the MaxClient limit is reached and at that point
I.H.S.
> stops responding and thus site becomes down. We then need to restart
the
> I.H.S. server. We have been experiencing this problem since we
migrated
> to WAS 5.0.2 / I.H.S. 1.3.26.2 combination.

Well, the server-status looks completely normal except that
MaxSpareServers is not being honored.  So the first thing I'd do is
triple-check that you are editting the correct config-file, and that
MaxSpareServers occurs only once in that config.

Other than that, I'd really suggest reporting this to IBM, since it
appears you are using an IBM-modified version of the server.

Joshua.