httpd-users mailing list archives

From webmas...@chismtrail.com
Subject [users@httpd] httpd won't start
Date Tue, 27 Sep 2005 19:54:04 GMT
Running Apache with RedHat 8.0 (Psyche), Kernel 2.4.18-24.8.0 on an
i686, not installed by me.  Would someone please point me in the right
direction to find my error and correct it?

All had been running well until we added a new website.  We were having
trouble getting it out on the web.  I went into the server and thought I
had added it correctly, but when I tried to restart httpd, I got this
failure message:

Sep 27 12:56:28 midnight httpd: Syntax error on line 907 of
etc/httpd/conf/httpd.conf:
Sep 27 12:56:28 midnight httpd: NameVirtualHost takes one argument, A
numeric IP address:port, or the name of a host
Sep 27 12:56:28 midnight httpd: httpd startup failed

I checked in /etc/httpd/conf/httpd.conf and found all the virtual hosts
configured the same way.  They worked before, but not now!  I removed
the new one, thinking that was the problem, but still get that error
message.

The following is from /etc/httpd/conf/httpd.conf:
(with many blank lines omitted)

# Virtual host evergreenequikits.com
<VirtualHost >
        DocumentRoot /var/www/html/EVER
        ServerAdmin webmaster@chismtrail.com
        ServerName evergreenequikits.com
        ServerSignature email
        ServerSignature email
</VirtualHost>

# Virtual host peytonsvillebaptistchurch.org
<VirtualHost >
        DocumentRoot /var/www/html/PBC
        ServerAdmin webmaster@chismtrail.com
        ServerName peytonsvillebaptistchurch.org
        ServerSignature email
        ServerSignature email
   </VirtualHost>

# Virtual host garnette.com
<VirtualHost >
        DocumentRoot /var/www/html/MONTE
        ServerAdmin webmaster@chismtrail.com
        ServerName garnette.com
        ServerSignature email
        ServerSignature email
</VirtualHost>

After removing the new site, I went back and added the domain in
tinydns, then re- added it to virtual hosts.  Httpd still  won't start.

Thanks in advance for your help.