httpd-users mailing list archives

From Jessica Rasku <jra...@armispiansystems.ca>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Alias Directive Issue (403 Forbidden Error)
Date Mon, 26 Sep 2005 19:27:09 GMT
Trystan Hughes wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I want to create an Alias in the apache httpd.conf file and have done
> so like this
>
> <IfModule mod_alias.c>
> Alias /test_alias/ "C:\Documents and Settings\Trystan\My Documents\"
> </IfModule>
>
> So, what this should effective do is to print the directory contents
> of 'My Documents' directory when I enter the following URL into my
> browser...
>
> http://localhost/text_alias/

I know this isn't the issue because you're getting a 403 not 404 error,
but you've got test_alias, and text_alias.

> I get a 403 Forbidden Error.
>
> Why is this? How can I check to see what user the Apache server is
> running under?

Generally Apache runs under an un-privelaged user (I've not run under
Windows) such as nobody, or apache.  So what you have to do is set world
read access to the dirrectory and files.  This probably isn't what you
want to do.  Though it might work.  Another possibility is to put group
read access and put the apache user in the group.  That might work a
little better.

						Jessica