httpd-users mailing list archives

From Jessica Rasku <jra...@armispiansystems.ca>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] filename.php~
Date Sun, 25 Sep 2005 23:06:48 GMT
Kevin O'Neil wrote:
> Hi all,
> I am kind of new to apache.
> I have Apache/2.0.46 Linux WS 3 (Red Hat) Server PHP Version 4.3.2
>
> I am confused and bewildered that some files in the /html have an extra
> file with ~ on the end.
> I am unsure what this means or how to stop it. I used an example on my
> site and was dismayed that it downloaded the file: filename.php~ and
> displayed all the Preprocessor information including my Database user
> information.

These are likely backup files created by your editor.  You want to
delete them when you are done editing.  Some times it's hard to remember
to do that.  Another option is to turn off the backup feature with your
editor.  That would depend on the editor you are using.  I typicially
use either joe or vi.  Joe creates these files, vi doesn't.  Depends on
the mood that I am in and which features I need.

> How can I secure this so that all files that end with ~ do not show
> preprocessor information and display as if it was called as a regular
> php page?

One way to do this is to put the php~ in an AddHandler directive, it's
much cleaner to just clean these files up.  They almost certainly are
not needed.

							Jessica