httpd-users mailing list archives

From Garret Wilson <gar...@globalmentor.com>
Subject [users@httpd] Apache stops servicing port 80
Date Mon, 19 Sep 2005 19:43:27 GMT
I have a very strange problem that I can't resolve.

I have Apache 2.0.54 running on Red Hat. Apache is serving the following
sites:

* http://staticpages.example.com - Simple static XHTML pages.
* http://jsp.example.com - JSP pages running via proxy on port 9000 on
Tomcat 5.5.9 (JDK 1.5.0_04).
* http://servlet.example.com - Servlets running via proxy on port 9100
on Tomcat 5.5.9 (JDK 1.5.0_04).
* https://dav.example.com - A WebDAV site accessed via SSL.
* https://svn.example.com - A Subversion site accessed via SSL.

Periodically the port 80 sites will stop responding. No errors will be
in error_log. There will be no record in access_log of my attempts to
access the site.

The other sites will still work fine. I can access the secure WebDAV
site through Apache with no problem. I can access the JSP pages on
Tomcat directly like this:

http://jsp.example.com:9000

But the connection will time out when trying to access either the static
pages on Apache or the proxied Tomcat site via Apache, and no trace of
the request can be found in the log files.

What is causing this strange problem? I'll be happy to provide more
info, if you need it.

Sincerely,

Garret