httpd-users mailing list archives

From Davide Bianchi <dav...@onlyforfun.net>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Both IP based and name based virtual host on same server.
Date Tue, 13 Sep 2005 11:04:17 GMT
Arun G Nair wrote:
> use for development. Now we need a virtualhost with SSL support. After
> going through the docs I found that SSL with Name based virtual host is
> not possible.

Who said so? It is possible, the only problem is that all the
SSL-enabled virtual hosts will use the same certificate. This means
that connecting to 'https://www.somehost.com' the browser will complain
that the certificate is for 'www.someotherhost.com'. Of course you could
get away with it by having only sub-domains, like thishost.domain.com,
anotherhost.domain.com and so on, and the certificate having
*.domain.com.

But if you need ONE virtual host it will work fine.

Also, it will work fine if you don't really care about the 'warning'
message.

Davide

--
Windows: The answer to a question nobody has ever asked.