httpd-users mailing list archives

From eoghan <apa...@redry.net>
Subject Re: AW: [users@httpd] virtualhost with file
Date Fri, 02 Sep 2005 13:13:32 GMT
Mads Rosendahl wrote:
> That would be my preferred solution as well.
>
> Or simply specify the file as default-document for the site/folder with
> DirectoryIndex?
>
> I never use "Options Indexes" !!! I don't want to allow directory
> browsing, unless needed in special
> cases. For security reasons.
>
> By why would you want to do it this way to begin with? It is not common
> to have a pdf-file as default
> document. You will only have problems with it, and confused users. And
> you can't specify HTML meta
> headers such as title, keywords, author and so on.
>
> Just some thoughts:
> When you send non-html content to users, the response header
> Content-Type is used by the client
> to determine what to do with it, in this case "Content-Type:
> application/pdf". Apache uses the filename
> suffix to determine mime-type, as specified in /etc/mime.types in linux.
> Will apache return the correct
> Content-Type header when the requested resource is a folder? Just a
> thought.... Otherwise the browser
> will get really confused.

Thanks for the comments. I realise this isnt a good thing to do, but Im
just helping someone out... they had given a url to many users for a
guidebook... The people who gave the link (printed in a document) dont
think of these things. I have suggested using php header() but also
noted that this will require people have a plugin so the page actually
opens... Im surprised that they didnt actually use a html template for
this information, since they give a web address for it, but there you go :)
Thanks again for the comments!
Eoghan