httpd-users mailing list archives

From matt-nc <ncm...@triad.rr.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] DocumentRoot for Name-based Virtual Host
Date Wed, 14 Sep 2005 18:18:45 GMT
At 01:23 PM 9/14/05 -0400, you wrote:
> > I put the following in httpd.conf:
> >
> > NameVirtualHost *:80
> >
> > <VirtualHost *:80>
> >         DocumentRoot /home/amos/local-web/php
> >         ServerName php-web
> > </VirtualHost>
> >

> > then I added the following to the hosts file:
> >
> > 127.0.0.1       php-web
> >

> > I created a file, welcome.php and put it in /home/amos/local-web/php but
> > when I put http://php-web/welcome.php into the browser I get an Access
> > forbidden! Error 403.
>
>And what does the error_log say?

It says, client denied by server configuration:
/home/amos/local-web/php/welcome.php

>First, it looks like you haven't read the big box labled "Main host
>goes away" on this page:
>http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.0/vhosts/name-based.html

Okay, thanks.  I put the following block in and the localhost and 127.0.0.1
addresses seem to be working correctly again.

<VirtualHost *:80>
         ServerName localhost:80
         DocumentRoot /var/www/html
</VirtualHost>

Does the localhost seem like the correct server name to specify since I'm
just using it for a localhost web server and the /conf/hosts file has an
entry 127.0.0.1 localhost?

>Second, you have some permissions problem.  If you are using Fedora,
>then you can't do what you want without turning off or modifying the
>SELinux configuration.

I'm using Mandriva 2006-RC1 beta.  Root has 700 permissions, everything
else in line has 755, and the file has 644.

Thanks again,
Matt