httpd-users mailing list archives

From Vizion <viz...@vizion.occoxmail.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Proper configuration of FollowSymLinks in 2.0.54
Date Thu, 08 Sep 2005 22:20:49 GMT
On Thursday 08 September 2005 15:09,  the author Dukkefup Mun contributed to
the dialogue on-
 RE: [users@httpd] Proper configuration of FollowSymLinks in 2.0.54:

>Using "Options All" under 2.054 does not give you everything explicitly.
> You need to define +FollowSymLinks in order to be able to traverse
> SymLinks.  Same as if you want to explicitly allow CGI with +ExecCGI.  That
> should work for you.
>~~John Aldrich
>

> From: Forrest Aldrich <forrie@forrie.com>
>To: users@httpd.apache.org
>Subject: [users@httpd] Proper configuration of FollowSymLinks in 2.0.54
>Date: Thu, 08 Sep 2005 17:53:30 -0400
>
> What is the proper way to configure FollowSymLinks in 2.0.54?
>
>I'm having a problem getting this to work at all - after reading the manual,
> searching for examples, it seems fairly straightforward; however, every
> combination I try fails with: Symbolic link not allowed.
>
>I am suspicious that I've hit a bug, and actually filed a bug report, to
> which detractors insist there is no bug.
>
>I tried a stripped-down httpd.conf that has basically this:
>
>DocumentRoot /usr/local/www/data:
>

><Directory />
>    Options All
></Directory>
>
>The symlink is in the DocumentRoot as:
>
>files -> /usr/local/shares/directory
>
>I tried specifying the directory in different ways:
>

><Direcotory "/files">
>
><Direcotry "/usr/local/www/data/files">
>
><Directory "/usr/local/shares/files">
>
>the last option isn't valid, but I tried it anyway.
>
>This does *not* work, and I'm completely puzzled.
>
>What's more, the same configuration works fine under 1.3.x, using just a
> Directory pointer to /symlinkname.
>
>I'd appreciate some clarification/examples of how to do this properly under
> 2.0.54.
>

>Thanks.

I would concur there are problems with Symlinks in this version.

I got so frustrated that I changed my data storage structure so I did not have
to use them. I think the documentation is also poor and lacks examples.

david
 Currently in San Diego, CA. Sailing bound for Europe via Panama Canal after
completing engineroom refit.