httpd-users mailing list archives

From Sander Smeenk <ssmeenk+apache...@freshdot.net>
Subject [users@httpd] Apache & X-Forwarded-For
Date Thu, 01 Sep 2005 09:59:22 GMT
Hello,

I'd like to hear from people if they have experience in tracking how
many users are 'hidden' behind proxies that visit their site.

How can I find out how many there are? From what I know all
well-behaving proxies should add a X-Forwarded-For header with the real
IP address of the client and other proxies in the path.

Is X-Forwarded-For the only header for this? Rumour has it there are
many other headerfields that might contain this information.

Right now i log X-Forwarded-For with a LogFormat/CustomLog entry, but
this gives me about 3% of our visitors that aren't measured because they
come from one proxy IP.
Our partners indicate that we measure about 20% to 30% less visitors as
they do. And i'm wondering why / how that's possible.

This might be a bit unapropriate for this list, but i don't really know
where else to go with this question. Feel free to reply offlist if you
feel this is off-topic.

Thanks in advance,
Sander Smeenk.