httpd-users mailing list archives

From "AragonX" <arag...@dcsnow.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Different security based on network interface
Date Wed, 14 Sep 2005 10:46:07 GMT
<quote who="Scott Gifford">
> "AragonX" <aragonx@dcsnow.com> writes:
>
> [...]
>
>> I know that mod_access and I think mod_security will allow me to do this
>> but they do it based on IP address.  I'm afraid someone will spoof the
>> IP
>> addresses of the internal network to bypass this security measure.
>
> The easiest way to do this is with a firewall.  Set up a firewall on
> your external interface that blocks all packets claiming to be from
> your internal interface.  Your OS should have a tool to do this
> (iptables on modern Linux).  It's also smart to do this at your
> perimeter router; since lots of random things use IP addresses as
> access control it's wise to stop anything fishy before it gets into
> your building.

This is being done.  I didn't even think about what the firewall was
blocking.  The problem still persists though.  I don't want customers to
even see the directories that contain my apps.

By hiding these directories from external access, I'll get some peace of
mind also.  I worry about insecure apps that may give an attacker unwanted
privileges and/or information.