httpd-users mailing list archives

From Christopher Sean Hilton <ch...@vindaloo.com>
Subject [users@httpd] Apache 1.3.31 + mod_ssl + ipv6
Date Tue, 20 Sep 2005 04:12:15 GMT
I'm running apache 1.3.31 with mod_ssl and ipv6 built from ports on
FreeBSD 4.10 Stable. I've been playing with the configuration for the
past four hours trying to get a simple vhost + ssl setup going. In the
end I got it working but I still have questions:

Why does this work:

NameVirtualHost 64.204.249.112:80

<VirtualHost 64.204.249.112:80>
    ServerName www.lhr-its.com
    DocumentRoot /usr/local/www/data
</VirtualHost>

<VirtualHost 64.204.249.112:80>
    ServerName mambo.lhr-its.com
    DocumentRoot /usr/local/www/mambo
</VirtualHost>

<VirtualHost 64.204.249.112:80>
    ServerName natasha.lhr-its.com
    DocumentRoot /usr/local/www/data
</VirtualHost>

<VirtualHost 64.204.249.112:80>
    ServerName mail.lhr-its.com
    DocumentRoot /usr/local/www/data
</VirtualHost>

Where this doesn't:

NameVirtualHost *:80

<VirtualHost *:80>
    ServerName www.lhr-its.com
    DocumentRoot /usr/local/www/data
</VirtualHost>

<VirtualHost *:80>
    ServerName mambo.lhr-its.com
    DocumentRoot /usr/local/www/mambo
</VirtualHost>

<VirtualHost *:80>
    ServerName natasha.lhr-its.com
    DocumentRoot /usr/local/www/data
</VirtualHost>

<VirtualHost *:80>
    ServerName mail.lhr-its.com
    DocumentRoot /usr/local/www/data
</VirtualHost>

Since the second way is the recommended way I went around in circles for
three hours before I decided to just bind apache to the ipv4 address on
the server as a means of simplifying things. All the while I kept
getting an error message which was no help at all:

[Mon Sep 19 22:58:54 2005] [warn] VirtualHost *:80 overlaps with
VirtualHost *:80, the first has precedence, perhaps you need a
NameVirtualHost directive
[Mon Sep 19 22:58:54 2005] [warn] VirtualHost *:80 overlaps with
VirtualHost *:80, the first has precedence, perhaps you need a
NameVirtualHost directive
[Mon Sep 19 22:58:54 2005] [warn] VirtualHost *:80 overlaps with
VirtualHost *:80, the first has precedence, perhaps you need a
NameVirtualHost directive

As you can see, in both examples I had a "NameVirtualHost" directive.

Thanks for any help
-- Chris