httpd-users mailing list archives

From David Holden <dvdh...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Which file gets served when the URL does not include a mime type extension.
Date Wed, 24 Aug 2005 12:57:32 GMT
Hi Tony,

 thanks for the reply, the reason I ask is because I'm getting a
default behaviour that I cannot find documentation of.

i.e. if I sent up a server with these two files in a directory it is
always serving the XML file over the HTML file.

e.g

http://localhost/test/file

will return file.xml not file.html

I don't think "DirectoryIndex" is appropriate here because the file
name does not matter, e.g. it could be fred.xml/fred.html or
bill.xml/bill.html it still chooses the .xml file over the html file
if both are there..

 Dave.

On 8/24/05, Tony VanScoy <tvanscoy@gmail.com> wrote:
> >  If I have a directory "test" with two files in "file.xml" and
> > "file.html" can anyone tell me which should get served if I address it
> > from a browser using
> >
> > "http://localhost/test/file"
> >
> > i.e. without specifying the suffix.
> >
> > also is this behaviour configurable?
> >
> > thanks,
> >
> >         Dave.
>
> Maybe you're looking for DirectoryIndex.
>
> <Location /test>
>   DirectoryIndex file.xml file.html
> </Location>
>
> With that config, Apache will look for file.xml first, and then
> file.html if the first is not found. As far as serving up file.xml
> when only "file" is requested, you could do something with
> mod_rewrite.
>
> RewriteRule ^/test/file$ /test/file.xml  <- will use file.xml for
> "http://localhost/test/file"
>
> .. or something like that. Check the syntax

Dr. David Holden.
Please avoid sending me Word or PowerPoint attachments, thanks.
See: <http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/no-word-attachments.html>
Public GPG key available on request.