httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Kleinmann, Peter G" <pkl...@lehman.com>
Subject [users@httpd] request advice on expensive requests with mod_cache
Date Sun, 07 Aug 2005 17:01:59 GMT

in particular, suppose 5 requestors request the same URL in a span of 10
seconds, where
a response takes 30min (no timeouts), and is valid for 1hr.

Is there a way to make the 4 requests following the first wait for the
first request's results?

If its not possible directly with mod_cache, is it possible via filters,
and had anyone done something
similar?

About the end goal:

we have an xml database that we use as little more than blob storage (we
don't do any element indexing,
etc, just store xml as blobs).  For our purposes, mod_cache sounds like
a smarter way to go,
because rather than db semantics like

select blob B from database
if B = null,
	get data
	store data as B in database
	continue

we'd have

select B from http://our_apache_with_mod_cache/B
and mod_cache transparently executes
if B = null,
	get data
	store data as B in database
	continue

The one hang up we have is that some requests can be very expensive -
2hrs to generate, 10mb of data.  We've
built semantics around our blob db to queue identical requests, but can
we get this free or cheaply from apache +
mod_cache +  special code?

named above.  If you are not the intended recipient of this message you are hereby notified
that any review, dissemination, distribution or copying of this message is strictly prohibited.
of any transaction, or as an official statement of Lehman Brothers.  Email transmission cannot
be guaranteed to be secure or error-free.  Therefore, we do not represent that this information
is complete or accurate and it should not be relied upon as such.  All information is subject
to change without notice.
IRS Circular 230 Disclosure:
Lehman Brothers and its affiliates do not provide tax advice.  Accordingly, please be advised
that any discussion of US tax matters contained within this communication (including any attachments)
is not intended or written to be used and cannot be used for the purpose of (i) avoiding US
tax related penalties or (ii) promoting, marketing or recommending to another party any transaction
or matter addressed herein.