httpd-users mailing list archives

From Isabelle Moullet <Isabelle.Moul...@unil.ch>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] mass virtual hosting
Date Mon, 29 Aug 2005 09:53:34 GMT
Axel, thanks for your answer..

Yes I did look in my virtual host error_log file. And as I request the

I get the message :
[Mon Aug 29 11:37:11 2005] [error] [client 130.223.8.33] File does not
exist: /data/8080/favicon.ico

Which let me think that the correct documentroot is chosen by the server
ie /data/8080.

Moreover as I request http://www2n.unil.ch:8080/dir8080
which is a subdirectory of /data/8080 including an index.html file
I get the message:
[Mon Aug 29 11:27:40 2005] [error] [client 130.223.8.33] Directory index
forbidden by rule: /data/8080/dir8080/

As I add index.html to both URL, then the correct document is served..
ie from the correct documentroot.

I already use <ip-address>:* in my virtual host definition.

Yes I already have a
DirectoryIndex index.html index.html.var
  in my main httpd.conf

I also add again that directive in my virtualhost definition in several
way such as:
     <Directory /data/8080>
     DirectoryIndex index.html
     IndexOptions FancyIndexing
     </Directory>

The problem may be due to the simultaneous use of the
VirtualDocumentRoot directive and the DirectoryIndex one..

Cordialement,

Axel-Stéphane SMORGRAV a écrit :
> Well, if you use separate log files for the main server and the virtual host, you will
be able to see which of the servers actually serve the request. I suspect that at least requests
for :8080 are served by the main server instead of being served by the virtual host, and that
this is the reason why your VirtualDocumentRoot does not kick in for such requests.

> I did some tests myself and I did not manage to make it work unless using <ip-address>:*.
>
> That said, since you also have a DirectoryIndex in the main server, I do not really see
why the index page is not served from the main server document root... Are you sure http://www2n.unil.ch:8080/index.html
is not served from your browser cache? Did you check your logs?

> -ascs

However 130.223.27.40 does match 130.223.27.40:80.

explicitely the filename such as http://www2n.unil.ch:8080/index.html.

>>Any idea of which directive I have to add to get the default
>>index.html file for both cases http://www2n.unil.ch:8080 AND
>>http://www2n.unil.ch
>>
>>Thanks for your help

Isabelle Moullet