httpd-users mailing list archives

From "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Apache 2.0.54 on IBM z/OS
Date Thu, 25 Aug 2005 21:04:03 GMT
Anderson, Dick L wrote:

> I have just attempted to install 2.0.54 on z/OS Release 4.
>
> When I bring up the resulting "httpd", it is doing everything EXCEPT
> translating the resulting pages from EBCDIC to ISO-8859-I for delivery
> to the browser.  That is to say, it is sending EBCDIC-formatted pages to
> the browser.

That is *by design* - your content is served as raw binary information.
Any translation you desire should either be pre-converted to the desired
charset, or you can install the mod_charset_lite (provided iconv was
detected and apr-util configured the apr_xlate_* functions).  Note that
fixing the content with mod_charset_lite will be much more cpu intensive
than to pre-stage your files in the desired presentation format.

> "server-status" and "server-info" requests are also being
> responded to with EBCDIC results.

That's a *totally* different issue; you should report this as a bug;
generated content (in this case, from inside mod_status.c and mod_info.c
sources) obviously needs to be changed from the native printf charset
into some ascii flavor.  Again, you can configure mod_charset_lite to
transform this content, but that doesn't diminish the fact that they
should be emitting results in a legible charset :)

Bill